Duration: 3 years | Programme Code: 080201
B.A. in Journalism and Mass Communication is a three-year undergraduate course. Its main objective is to provide students the knowledge that is needed to work in ten different fields of media. These include Print Journalism, Photo Journalism, Television Production and Writing, Web Journalism, Radio Production, Social Media, Public Relations, Advertising, Event Management and Film Making. The focus of the course is practical work. The students not only get a thorough understanding of the basic concepts and theories of mass media but also develop skills that make them industry-ready.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To equip the students with the basic journalistic skills in different mass media.
- To demonstrate elements of media industry and to familiarize them with recent developments in mass media.
- To develop the use of research methodologies appropriate to the discipline of Mass Communications and Journalism.
To enhance the knowledge of students with regard to fundamentals of communication and its various forms.
- Students develop a practical understanding of the underlying principles of Mass Communication and Journalism Industry.
- Students will learn to write, edit and design newspapers, shoot and anchor news bulletins and television programmes, make radio jingles, print and web advertisements, produce corporate films and documentaries, develop blogs, post tweets, make Facebook posts, create YouTube videos, build Pinterest boards etc
- Students will be learn to work on the various softwares used in the Mass Communication and Journalism industry such as QuarkXpress, Final Cut Pro, Audacity and Adobe Photoshop.
The curriculum is evenly balanced in imparting technical skills in various areas of mass communication and mass media, theoretical knowledge and perspectives which determine their nature and use, and a historical and social understanding of their dynamics. The programme delivery is tailored to meet the needs of different fields of media. It comprises a good mix of formal lectures, seminars, computer based learning, individual and group project work, guest lectures and industry training.
Communication theories and models, Print Journalism, Digital Photography, Television Production and Writing, Web Journalism, Radio Production, Social Media, Public Relations, Advertising, Event Management, Data Journalism, Film Making, Media Law and Ethics.
The course prepares students for ten possible careers. These include Print Journalism, Photo Journalism, Television Production and Writing, Web Journalism, Radio Production, Social Media, Public Relations, Advertising, Event Management and Film Making.
10+2 from CBSE or equivalent examination. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.