Duration: 5 years | Programme Code: 060402
This course prepares students for professional practice as legal advisors to businesses, to business-oriented NGOs, and to government entities. The coursework combines a degree of sophistication in terms of legal content and upgrades student’s commercial and regulatory skills. The objective is to deliver highly relevant legal knowledge set in a practical commercial and regulatory context. To achieve this, courses are taught by a combination of law academics and leading practitioners. Distinguished guest lecturers and international faculty are a feature of our courses.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To develop a background in fundamental areas of business law.
- To provide students breadth, expertise and a foundation for professional practice.
- To develop fundamental in-depth knowledge and understanding of: the principles, concepts, values, substantive rules and development of the Indian legal system and core areas of business law.
- To develop intellectual rigor as well as more general transferable intellectual skills which are of value in the practice of Law and a wide range of careers.
- To provide our graduates with self-confidence, knowledge, understanding and skills that will provide added benefit to them as individuals, to the legal profession and to society as a whole
- Develop a deepened understanding of law in a variety of contexts.
- Critically engage with the role of law in managerial practice.
- Display the ability to deal with different types of legal issues and laws.
- Apply critical and contextual approaches across a wide variety of subject matter.
- Develop the ability to analyze, articulate and write on the subject.
The courses acquaint students with both the background and the foundations of the Indian legal system, with the method of legal thinking and analysis, and with an understanding of the role and function of law. In addition, particular attention is paid to reading and writing skills required for professional practice. The curriculum includes a skills component which teaches students generic practical skills such as problem solving, analysis, research and communication skills, as well as practical legal skills such as drafting particular kinds of legal documents, and legal argumentation, both written and verbal. The courses are delivered through lectures and seminar series involving both professor and student presentations. The objective of course is to ensure that the student has a thorough grasp of commerce discipline as well as of Law.
Possible career paths include advocacy, research, policy making and services within the corporate houses, public sector and government, community relations, human rights work in development agencies, grassroots advocacy and academia.
10+2 from CBSE or any other equivalent examination. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and a personal interview.