Duration: 3 Years | Programme Code: 020216
B.Sc. (Hons.) Microbiology programme endeavours to instill in students the skills to identify individual microbial species, use aseptic techniques to grow them in pure culture, safely handle and examine them by microbiological methods. The knowledge of microbiology will enable the students to improve the quality of human lives in relation to environment, fighting disease and to exploit microbes in the production of food. Microbiology plays a key role in genetic engineering and other modern biotechnologies such as antibiotic production and the exploitation of new sources of food and energy.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The graduates will learn the importance of microorganisms in environment, brewing, food processing and preservation, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology industries.
- The graduates will be provided with understanding of healthcare systems especially in pathological, immunological and environmental monitoring laboratories.
- The graduates will demonstrate the skills necessary to understand and apply scientific concepts and reasoning, including the analysis and interpretation of various types of data.
Upon completion of B.Sc. (Hons.) Microbiology programme, the students will be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge and understand the central facts and concepts of microbiology.
- acquire knowledge and understanding of organism biology and genetics, evolution, molecular biology and basic biological chemistry.
- instill the intellectual skills to analyze and solve biology-related problem, formulate and test hypothesis using experimental design.
- demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics in science and of the principles that can guide ethical decision-making in biological controversies.
- explore the scientific literature effectively and use computational tools.
- communicate ideas and principles effectively through oral presentations, computer based tools and written reports.
- manage resources, time and work independently as well as in multi-disciplinary team towards a common goal/outcome.
Some of the Major Areas that will be Covered
Microbial communities and Interactions, Infection and Immunity, Pathogen Biology, Pathogenesis of Infectitous Diseases, Virology, Human Microbial Diseases, Biodiversity, Molecular Biology, Transmission Genetics, Tissue Culture Techniques and Applications, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Recombinant DNA Technology and Industrial Microbiology.
Distinctive academic curriculum, qualified, competent and dedicated faculty members, transfer of knowledge through scholarly activities, inter-disciplinary project based learning, state-of-the-art laboratories, exceptional computing facilities, industry interaction, semester abroad opportunities.
Microbiologists can work as Research Microbiologists, Industrial Microbiologists, Clinical Microbiologists, and Environment Microbiologists. Exciting career opportunities also exist as researchers in laboratories of various universities & institutes, biotechnology companies, agricultural, medical and veterinary institutes.
10+2 from CBSE or equivalent examination with Chemistry and Biology/ Biotechnology as compulsory subjects along with one of the Physics/ Mathematics/ Technical vocational subjects. In addition, the candidates will also have to successfully complete GATA (Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission) and appear for a personal interview.