Duration: 3 years | Programme Code: 080201
B.A. in Journalism and Mass Communication is a three-year undergraduate course aimed at providing holistic knowledge at theoretical as well as practical level to the students. The extensive course is designed to offer comprehensive fundamental training in ten different fields of mass communication. These fields include Print Journalism, Television and Radio Production, Advertising and Public Relations, Event Management, Social Media, and Film Studies. The focus of the course is to nurture socially responsible media professionals, backed with the latest inputs from industry, well-trained faculty along with state of art infrastructure.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To equip students with the knowledge and essential skills required for working in various media organizations with different mass communication apparatuses and varied audiences need.
- To instill knowledge and fundamentals of communication in the students and hone written and spoken communication skills essential for various media platforms.
- To encourage critical thinking, research aptitude, ethics and social responsibility related to media in the students.
- Students will acquire a functional knowledge of the underlying principles and recent emerging trends of the media industry.
- Students will develop communication skills, appreciation for creativity, critical thinking, and analytical approach.
- Students will be equipped to conceptualize, create, design, and strategies high-quality media content for print, TV, radio, films and various digital platforms like social media, mobile etc.
- Students will appreciate and demonstrate the ability to produce reliable outcomes firmly founded on socially responsible framework, backed with decent knowledge of media ethics and law.
The curriculum is evenly balanced in imparting technical skills in various areas of mass communication and mass media, theoretical knowledge and perspectives which determine their nature and use, and a historical and social understanding of their dynamics. The programme delivery is tailored to meet the needs of different fields of media. It comprises a good mix of formal lectures, seminars, computer based learning, individual and group project work, guest lectures and industry training.
Communication Theories and models, Print Journalism, Television Production and Writing, Web Journalism, Radio Production, Social Media, Public Relations, Advertising, Event Management, Data Journalism, Film Studies, Media Law and Ethics
The course is designed to provide students with an overall development and exposure to various aspects of media, including ten predominant fields of mass communication. After the completion of the course, the student will be industry ready to successfully merge into the existing industrial requirements. The course will open avenues for students to pursue the career in Print Media, Journalism (Print and Electronic), Radio and TV production, Films, Integrated Marketing, Event Management, Brand Management, Advertising (Print, Electronic and Digital), Social Media etc.
10+2 from CBSE or equivalent examination. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.