Duration: 1 Year | Programme Code: 090215
Bachelor of Library and Information Science programme is designed to give students an understanding about philosophy of library science, its basic principles, fundamental laws and social impact.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To give students an understanding about philosophy of library science, its basic principles, fundamental laws and social impact.
- To educate students about growth, development and professional ethics of librarianship.
- To develop the students in skill of information processing, organization and retrieval.
- To educate the students with various standardized tools of library classification and cataloguing.
- To make students familiar in managing different sections of a library.
- To give basic knowledge of computer and its application in managing various activities of a library system.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the graduate would be able to :
- Understand about libraries and librarianship.
- Get acquainted with various standards and tools being used in processing, managing and retrieving information resources.
- Manage information traditionally as well as in modern ways.
The main highlight of the programme would be to train and make students familiar with professional ethics and skills required in librarianship.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Library information and society, Library classification/cataloguing, library management, information sources and services, use of computer in library science.
Career opportunities are in various public (village, town, state central library etc.) libraries, academic (schools, colleges and universities) libraries, also in special and research libraries. Even, corporate houses also establish libraries to keep their employees up to date with latest happenings. Museum and galleries also appoint library professionals to manage manuscripts and other stuffs.
Graduation with 50% marks in aggregate from any recognized university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.