Duration: 2 years | Programme Code: 090302
M.A. School Psychology is an advanced course aimed at instilling and apprising the learners of theoretical constructs and practical applicability of the subject so that they can apply the same in educational institutes, colleges, schools, universities, research centres, testing companies and clinics that serve the educational and mental health needs of children, youth, and their families. It takes a holistic approach to ensure the learners have a deep understanding of the core fundamentals, have scientific approach, are able to counsel, resolve issues, be receptive, skilled and capable as a school psychologist.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To introduce School Psychology as a specialized scientific study of: cognitive functions, development issues and behavior of students in an educational set up.
- To deal with students social-emotional problems, development issues and implement effective interventions, programs that promote and facilitate healthy cognitive, behavioral, and social-emotional growth of children and families.
- Develop Competencies in using problem solving practices leading to data-based decision making and evidence-based interventions at the individual, group, systems, and policy levels.
- Actively contribute towards social community by promoting cognitive, behavioral, and social-emotional, and educational growth of children and families.
- Understand and respect individual differences and differences in culture, race/ ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, and sexual orientation and work effectively in multicultural and pluralistic social contexts.
- To acquaint learners with methods and procedures used in conducting scientific research.
Programme OutcomesUpon successful completion of graduation, learners are expected to demonstrate the following::
- Acquire, absorb and apply knowledge in school psychology ensuing the healthy growth and development of children in educational setup.
- Demonstrate impeccable knowledge and understanding resulting into competencies like problem solving coaching, counseling, decision making, diagnosis, etc.
- Develop critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Demonstrate statistical, information gathering, synthesis skills to facilitate research.
The teaching- learning process ranges from interactive sessions, discourses through subject matter expertise to various case studies, experiments, practicum demonstrations, lab experiments, discussions, audio visuals, industrial interphases, field visits and real time organizational trainings and internships. All focused to equip and enrich the learner making them adept in the subject. The evaluation criteria runs parallel to the course seeking a continuous comprehensive evaluation of all the competencies required in the area. This incorporates weightage given to theoretical concepts, practicals, class participation, projects, dissertations, industrial training/ internships etc.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Fundamentals of Psychology, Statistical methods for Research, Development Psychology, Professional and ethical functions of school psychologists, Childhood disorders, Child-adolescent related disorders Psychological Research, Multicultural issues in school psychology, Children with Special Needs, Therapeutic interventions for school psychologists, Neural bases for language and cognitive development, Counseling, Health & Well-being, Diagnostic tests and Practicum etc.
The well thought of course design will facilitate exploring career avenues in various educational institutes like university, colleges, schools, research institutes, testing companies etc.
Graduation in any field with Psychology as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. Candidates must have 2 years work-experience. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.