Duration: 2 years | Programme Code: 080303
The media is undergoing unprecedented changes in the way it is created, distributed and consumed today. This has led to a sharp rise in the demand for a new breed of media managers who are both market savvy and tech savvy, and can adapt to the needs of both traditional media and the new media. This programme combines traditional knowledge of media management, business accounting and HR practices with the needs of technology-driven modern-day media. Besides stressing the core concepts and principles of management, the programmeequips students with themanagerial skills and knowledge needed to work in different media fields.
Programme Educational Objectives
- Familiarize the students with the structure of media.
- Provide the students the knowledge and understanding of media economics, finance and business strategy.
- Apprise the students of the current technology and practices used in media production, distribution and consumption.
- Develop management skills and perspectives needed to work in the media.
- Give an understanding of the regulatory environment in which the media operates.
- Establish the importance of team work in managerial functions.
- Describe the structure and functioning of theIndia media industry.
- Communicate ideas and statements clearly in oral and digital communication.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of media production processes.
- Describe issues related to media governance and regulatory structures.
- Analyze the impact of convergence on the creation, distribution and consumption of media.
- Describe the costs of production and sources of revenue of different forms of media.
- Display analytical and problem solving skills.
- Develop business ethics strategies and demonstrate their application to typical business decision-making problems.
The programme combines the principles of management with skills needed to manage media organizations.The curriculum includes courses that provide knowledge into the working of different fields of media. These include Print Media, Radio and Television, New Media, Social Media, Advertising, Public Relations, Event Management and Entertainment. The students are also taught core marketing functions such as Marketing Management, Media Economics, Business Communication, Human Resource Management and Theories of Organizational Behavior.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Media, Culture & Society; Media Business, Accounting for Management, Business Communication, Quantitative Techniques, Marketing Management, Human Resources Management & Organizational Behaviour, Media Business Laws, Financial Management, Print Media Business, Broadcast Industry, Film & Music Industry, New Media Industry and Social Media Marketing.
A degree in Media Management opens up scores of exciting managerial positions inPrint Media, Broadcast Media, New Media, Social Media, Advertising, Public Relations, Event Management and Film Production. These openings are for managerial positions in product development, media sales, media planning, media buying, corporate communications, media finance etc. All these are challenging positions and promise highly paying and satisfying careers.
Graduation in any field from a UGC approved university. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.