Duration: 1 years | Programme Code: 080103
The programme has been designed for students who have passion for telling stories through film, television anddocumentaries.During this one year post graduate course, these students get an opportunity to understand as well as gain first-hand experience of creating various elements of film and television production from conceptualizing to writing, producing, shooting and editing fiction as well as documentary films.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To teach the basics of cinema and television production
- To provide an understanding of history and major movements of Indian and world cinema
- To inculcate the art ofwriting screenplays
- Understand the intricacies of character building and writing dialogues
- Understand the technique and aesthetics of videography and cinematography
- To teach the process and different stages of production for film, documentary andtelevision
At the end of the programme the students should be able to:
- Communicate effectively through film and television platforms
- Conceptualize, write, shoot and edit documentary films on their own
- Develop characters and write dialogues for a film
- Conceptualize, develop and write screenplays for films
- Develop and create programmes of different genres of television
- Conduct independent photo shoots and tell a story through the same.
This Postgraduate Diploma programme aims at teaching the techniques and aesthetics of film and television production and writing. The aim is to make the students undergo all the three aspects of film and television production namely preproduction (conceptualizing, developing and writing scripts), production (recording and shooting) and post production (editing). In addition to this, the students will also be taken through the history of major cinema movements of the world as well as India. They will also be required to learn the art of digital photography.Some of the major areas that will be covered: Digital photography, film making, television production, script writing for fiction and documentaries, non-linear editing and direction.
Career Avenues: After completing this programme, the students should be able to work for television and/or film production companies for the positions of cinematographer, producer, script writer or video editor. They should also be able to work as independent documentary film makers.
Entry Requirements: Graduation in any field from a UGC approved university. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.