Programme OverviewDuration: 3 Years | Programme Code: 020208 B. Sc. Forensic Science programme aims to develop the skills necessary to take part in a forensic investigation by providing experience of examining forensic evidence and case studies. It provides students with detailed contextual knowledge of courses related to forensic science in the broad areas of biology, chemistry, law and methods of forensic investigation so that they can acquire skills necessary to carry out independent projects.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The graduates will become professionals equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to take part in a forensic investigation.
- The graduates will work and communicate effectively in inter-disciplinary environment, either independently or in a team, and demonstrate leadership qualities.
- The graduates will engage in life-long learning and professional development through self-study, continuing education or professional and doctoral level studies.
Upon completion of the B. Sc. Forensic Science programme, students will be able to:
- Describe and apply the basic principles of forensic science.
- Evaluate methods of forensic investigation and laws relevant to forensic science.
- Use modern techniques, skills, and modern tools (ICT) required for forensic investigations.
- Demonstrate contextual knowledge and understanding of forensic chemistry and forensic biology.
- Carry out practical techniques important in forensic science and forensic anthropology.
- Critically interpret data, write reports and apply the basics of rules of evidence.
- Select, interpret and critically evaluate information from a range of sources that include books, scientific reports, journals, case studies and the internet.
- Function on multidisciplinary teams by working cooperatively, creatively and responsibly as a member of a team.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, computing and graphical means.
- Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning through continuing education and research.
Distinctive academic curriculum, qualified and competent faculty members, transfer of knowledge through scholarly activities, inter-disciplinary project based learning, state-of-the-art laboratories, exceptional computing facilities, industry interaction, semester abroad opportunities.
Advances in Forensic Chemistry, Forensic Toxicology, Forensic Medicine, Forensic Anthropology, Forensic Practice, Biology for Forensic Scientists, Introduction to Criminology, Crime Scene Investigation, Fingerprints, Forensic Serology, Cyber Forensics etc.
Career opportunities exist in Public Forensic Science Laboratories, Detective and Security Agencies, Pharmaceutical Companies and Banks and Insurance Agencies etc.
10+ 2 from CBSE or equivalent examination with Science Subjects. In addition candidates will also have to appear in GATA (Goenkan Aptitude Test for Admission) and appear for a personal interview.