Programme OverviewDuration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 020301
M. Tech. Power System Engineering programme aims to impart theoretical and practical knowledge in the fields of power system analysis, dynamics, operation and control, protection, planning and reliability, security, power quality and power system transients. It enables students to analyze, design, develop and evaluate high-end power systems, undertake challenging projects and carry out research activities in the area of power system engineering.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The graduates will become eminent power engineers capable of playing significant role in the private and public power sectors or carrying out related research activities at academic and research institutions.
- The graduates will apply their knowledge and skills of power system engineering with an understanding of realistic constraints for the overall benefit of the society.
- The graduates will work and communicate effectively in inter-disciplinary environment, either independently or in a team, and demonstrate leadership qualities.
- The graduates will engage in life-long learning and professional development through self-study, continuing education or professional and doctoral level studies.
Programme OutcomesUpon completion of the M. Tech. Power System Engineering (PSE) programme, students will be able to:
- Apply advanced level knowledge, techniques, skills and modern tools of power system engineering.
- Design advanced level power system systems, components, or processes to meet identified needs within economic, environmental and social constraints.
- Function on multidisciplinary teams, working cooperatively, respectfully, creatively and responsibly as a member of a team.
- Identify, formulate, and solve power system related problems using advanced level computing techniques.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, computing and graphical means.
- Understand the impact of power engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning through continuing education and research.
- Demonstrate knowledge of contemporary issues in the area of power system engineering.
- Manage projects related to power system engineering in multidisciplinary environments.
Distinctive academic curriculum, qualified and competent faculty members, transfer of knowledge through scholarly activities, inter-disciplinary project based learning, state-of-the-art laboratories, exceptional computing facilities, industry interaction, semester abroad opportunities.
Major areas that will be covered under this Programme:
Power System Planning and Reliability, Power Electronics Applications in Power Systems, Digital Control, Power Systems Dynamics and Stability, HVDC Transmission, Advanced Power System Analysis, Distribution System Automation, Advanced Power System Protection, Power System Transients.
The employment and career prospects for the power system engineering graduates are excellent as they are in high demand in all major industries. The graduates can work as Energy Manager or Electrical Engineer in defense sector, heavy electrical industries, automobile industries, space technology and power sector to name a few. The graduates can also start their own consultancy firm dealing with power engineering.
BE/B. Tech or equivalent in Electrical/Electrical and Electronics or in relevant discipline. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and a personal interview.