Placed in Inner pages
|Duration: 2 Years||Programme Code: 020308|
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Forensic Science programme is designed to develop theoretical knowledge and practical application of the key aspects of Forensic Science. Students under this programme will initially be taught the fundamentals of Forensic Biology and Forensic Chemistry that underpin much of the laboratory analysis associated with forensic investigations. This will be followed by comprehensive courses on the recovery and processing of a variety of evidence types found at crime scenes as well as the evaluation and presentation of that evidence in a legal context.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The graduates will develop Forensic Science skills and methods within a holistic Crime Science grounding.
- The graduates will have the understanding of scientific overview of crime that will equip them with a wide range of transferable skills so as to be good forensic scientists, managers, consultants and/or advisors in a variety of different crime, security and policy contexts.
- The graduates will develop the potential to influence the direction of the discipline and the practice of forensic science in India and abroad.
- The graduates will engage in lifelong learning and professional development through discussion, professional and doctoral level studies.
At the end of the programme the students will be able to:
- Understand the knowledge of key principles of crime and forensic science, conceptual frameworks for forensic science and have understanding of relationships between the various forensic science stakeholders.
- Analyze problems and use appropriate scientific and professional tools to solve it.
- Execute experimental design, analyze the data and evaluate the weight and applicability of forensic evidence for investigative and court purposes.
- Acquire the art of logical and probabilistic thinking, evaluating hypotheses, analyzing, and presenting complex phenomenon.
- Write the technical presentation, report and present the evidence effectively in court.
Access to extensive state-of-the-art modern facilities, including the Forensic, Chemistry and Biology laboratories. After completing three semesters, students will undertake a complete semester research project from a diverse range of projects available both within the University and through external placements. This will develop research skills among the graduating students.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
General Forensic Science, Instrumental Analysis (Physical), Forensic Biology, Forensic Chemistry and Toxicology, Forensic Serology, DNA Profiling, Ballistics and Fire Arms, Numerical Methods and Computer Programming, project based learning, report writing and presentation.
A Masters degree in Forensic Science serves as a preparation for entry-level for advanced jobs in criminal justice laboratories, medical examiners’ offices, hospitals, universities, police departments and government agencies. Graduates may work in the fields like crime scene analysis, fire investigation, environmental protection and public safety. Forensic scientists may spend time in courtrooms providing testimonies in court cases as well.
An undergraduate degree in a related discipline from UGC approved University. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.