Duration: 3 Years | Programme Code: 090210
Sociology encompasses the study of human behavior, its causes and consequence; and social interaction of people in groups to understand how societies organize, develop and change. Sociologists also study the role that social institutions have on humans’ perspective and identity. B.A. Hons. Sociology programme is designed to impart a keen understanding of human activities, interactions with a special emphasis on all aspects of human experience and its interrelationship with society.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To provide instructions to enable students to understand human behaviour within a social context.
- To help students achieve competence in understanding, critically assessing, and using major sociological concepts.
- Introduce students to the varied theoretical perspectives of sociology.
- Encourage in learners an appreciation and respect for cultural diversity in societies.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the graduate would be able to :
- Describe and critically analyze the assumptions that underlie particular theoretical perspectives.
- Apply various theoretical perspectives to issues in society.
- Critique sociological research reported in popular or scholarly publications by describing the research problem, methodology, and results.
The course will be taught in an interactive manner. The concepts shall be mostly shared through slides, video clips as required and further reinforced through individual or group activities such as role plays, games, case discussions, presentations etc. aimed to equip students with skills to apply the theoretical knowledge in practical situations. Students would be required to work on field projects. Students are expected to read journals, papers, news and articles to improve their understanding of the said areas.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Introduction to Sociology, Sociology of India, Sociology of Religion, Economic Sociology, Sociology of Kinship, Political Sociology, Sociological Theories, Social Stratification, Methods in Sociological Research.
Careers in which those with a B.A in sociology often secure employment are as case workers, paralegals, public relations workers, urban planners, community organizers, public policy researchers, and data analysts.
10+2 from CBSE or equivalent examination. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.