Duration: 3 year | Programme Code: 090207
The program addresses some of the fundamental problems facing human society. Questions concerning world peace, government policies aimed at achieving economic stability and growth, the management of environmental quality, control over political competition, the possibility of using law to affect social and political change and the gap between the rich and poor in India and abroad are all on the research agenda of contemporary political scientists. The programme is committed to developing students into citizens who are active and informed on a wide range of political systems: local, state, national and global. It is designed to foster an understanding of the responsibilities and rights of active, informed participants within these systems. It will develop your ability to think, assess and respond. In addition, it will ensure a basic knowledge of the ideas, institutions and processes of politics and government.
- Students will be able to describe and explain the functions of various institutions of government, both in the India and elsewhere.
- Attain knowledge of the nature of governmental processes, the functions of political systems, the structures and roles of institutions and constitutions, and the mechanism of the decision-making process at the local, national and international levels.
- Acquire entry-level skills for careers in government, journalism, international organizations, legal professions, research, advertising agencies, and any of the business enterprises and proliferating organizations that maintain political and economic activities.
- Integrate the cultural, social, legal and ethical issues inherent in the discipline of political science and international affairs at the undergraduate level of education
- Identify the nature of government processes, the functions of political systems, the structures and roles of institutions and constitutions, the political economy of Third World countries, international relations and foreign policy, and the challenges of globalization.
- Understand theoretical and methodological tools essential for higher-level intellectual pursuits.
- Examine the major issues pertaining to this field of study, and identify problems, conceptualize ideas, and communicate solutions in various situations that emerge at the workplace.
In addition to the learning objectives listed above the challenging coursework in our programs enhances students’ ability to think critically, improves their ability to write with clarity, improves their ability to orally communicate effectively and increases their ability to make sound judgments through analytical reasoning. Opportunities such as Model United Nations, internships, mock trial and international security simulations and preparing graduates for career success are a part of the course curriculum.
Some of the major areas that will be covered:
Political Theory, Comparative Government and Politics, Principles of Public Administration, Government and Politics in India, Indian & Western Political Thinkers, International Organizations, International Relations and Local Government in India.
Employment areas include Colleges & Universities, Government Agencies, Public Policy organizations, Consulting firms, Public Relations Department, Diplomacy, Publishing Houses, Embassies, Intelligence Wings, Law Firms, Politics. Research Organizations, Social Work Organizations, United Nations & its Agencies.
10+2 or equivalent examination with 50% marks in aggregate or 45% marks in Political Science. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.