Placed in Inner pages
|Duration: 2 Years||Programme Code: 090304|
M.A. Economics program provides a rigorous approach to the study of economic theory while offering students enough flexibility to take electives in the department in order to tailor their study to their professional goals. The M.A. program specializes in advanced applied economic research and prepares the students for a sound preparation for progression to doctoral study.
Programme Educational Objectives:
- To teach the latest developments in the principles of economic theory.
- To equip students with tools of econometrics for applied economic research.
- To teach applications of theories in analyzing current economic problems.
- To impart a firsthand experience of how professional economists function in various government, semi-government and corporate organizations through the summer internship programme and Term Papers.
Upon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would be able to:
- Take a rigorous, quantitative approach to economic problems.
- Build and test economic models, using sophisticated economics tools.
- Advance professionally and to compete for well-paying jobs across a broad spectrum of industries and sectors.
- Enroll in a doctoral program.
The M.A. in Economics is a two-year full-time programme with Electives that will be offered in the 2nd year where students can specialize in their area of interest.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Microeconomic Theory, Introductory Mathematical Economics, Macroeconomic Theory, Econometric Methods, Markets, Institutions and Economic Growth, Economic Development & Policy in India. Specialization Electives can be offered across areas such as Agriculture Economics, International Economics, Monetary Economics, and Developmental Economics.
The various career avenues after MA Economics are in the field of Teaching, Indian Economic Service (IES), working as an economist, economic advisor or econometrician in various colleges and universities, government sector banks and other financial institutions, financial services and consultancy firms in the corporate sector.
Graduation in any field with Economics as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.