Placed in Inner pages
|Duration: 2 Years||Programme Code: 090305|
The two year M.A. in English programme offers a varied range of literatures written in English–teaching literary canons as well popular and new literatures. A gamut of inter-disciplinary courses that cover English Studies (novels, poetry and drama), Linguistics, Translation Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, World Theatre, World Literatures, Women’s Writing, and Film Studies constitute the academic curriculum of the post-graduate in English at the GD Goenka University. This exhaustive and interesting curriculum is designed keeping in mind the global market which looks for scholars and researches with great analytical skills and rich vocabulary. The faculty at the School of Humanities and Social Science follow an interactive, innovative and pragmatic teaching methodology which enables the students to develop an interest in studying the programme besides participating in other co-curricular activities.
Programme Educational Objectives:
- To provide students with an in-depth knowledge of the English studies.
- To develop research interests in students.
- To develop effective writing, reading and listening skills.
- To impart the literary and philosophical concepts and the application of literary theories in relation to texts and images.
- To introduce students to the disciplines of film and theatre studies.
- To create enriched and skilled editors, writers, teachers, researchers and creative individuals for the global market.
Upon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would demonstrate :
- An ability to understand how literature reflects the socio-political and cultural aspects of human civilization.
- An ability to understand various literary concepts and movements that shaped literatures written in English.
- An ability to develop analytical skills to critically appreciate and read literary texts, images, performances, films or literary figures.
- An ability to improve writing skills while engaging with different literary genres.
- Research skills along with the expertise on a particular genre or area.
We are not confined to class-room teaching methodology alone. We believe in a universal vision of pedagogy and learning, following the path illuminated by Rabindranath Tagore. Thus, the teaching-learning process ranges from interactive sessions, discussions, workshops and presentations. Scholars, film-makers, theatre artists, writers, poets, editors, corporate heads are invited for interactive sessions and lectures to motivate students. The evaluation criteria runs parallel to the course seeking a continuous comprehensive evaluation of all the competencies required in the area. This incorporates weightage given to theoretical concepts, presentations, class participation, projects, dissertations, industrial training/ internships, etc.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Classical Literatures, English Renaissance, Study of an Author, Modern English Poetry, English Novels, Literary Theory, Linguistics, Translation Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, World Theatre, World Literatures, Women’s Writing, and Film Studies.
The post-graduation in English will offer varied choices of professions and opportunities to the students. After successful completion of the programme, one could either choose a career in teaching in schools, working with print and electronic media or working as a content developer with multi-national corporate houses. One can go for teaching positions in leading schools and universities as a Junior Faculty or as a Research Associate. There are ample career options available in the industries related to publications, film, theatre, advertisement, product analysis, NGOs, research institutes and media houses. One can also start a career as a script writer, playwright, and poet or as an author.
Graduation in any field with English as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.