Duration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 090307
The two year M.A. in History programme offers an extensive curriculum to impart knowledge of historical studies to students. The programme covers the Ancient, Medieval and Modern Indian history besides introducing the world history, historical methodologies and historical archaeology to the students. The programme ensures a holistic approach to construct the theoretical understanding of the discipline. The programme also offers wide-ranging electives to students for specialisations. The faculty at the School of Humanities and Social Science follow an interactive, innovative and pragmatic teaching methodology which enables the students to develop an interest in studying the programme besides participating in other co-curricular activities.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To provide students with an in-depth knowledge of different schools of history writing.
- To develop research interests in students.
- To provide conceptual and theoretical clarity to understand the historiography of world affairs.
- To understand gender, caste and political economy of different ages.
- To create academically augmented and skilled historians through an interdisciplinary approach.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would demonstrate:
- An ability to understand how history reflects the socio-economic and political undercurrents of times.
- An ability to understand various concepts, thoughts, movements and shifts of power that shaped the historiography.
- An ability to understand the different schools of history writing besides developing an aptitude to study the different historical methodologies.
- Research skills along with the expertise on a particular school/ area of historical studies.
We are not confined to class-room teaching methodology alone and approach an interdisciplinary system to teach and assess. The teaching-learning process ranges from interactive sessions, discussions, workshops and presentations. The students are motivated to present seminar papers to exhibit their analytical and research skills. Outstanding academicians and historians are invited for brilliant interactive sessions and lectures to motivate students. The evaluation criteria runs parallel to the course seeking a continuous comprehensive evaluation of all the competencies required in the area. This incorporates weightage given to theoretical concepts, presentations, class participation, projects, seminar papers, dissertations, field visits and internships.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Historical Methodologies, Art and History, Archaeology, Cultural History, History of Emotions and Hurt, Gender and Caste in History, Oral History, Indian History, South-East Asian History, History of European Renaissance, History of Marxism, History of Social Movements and Revolutions and American History.
The post-graduation in History will provide ample opportunities to the students. After successful completion of the programme, one could either choose a career in teaching or in the field of research. One can go for teaching positions in leading schools and universities as a Junior Faculty or as a Research Associate. Research institutes and NGOs also hire and appoint students from the discipline of Historical Studies.
Graduation in any field with History as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.