Duration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 090308
The two year M.A. in Philosophy programme is an extensive and compact curriculum that offers courses related to Schools of Classical as well as Modern philosophy. The programme covers the Oriental and Occidental philosophy besides focusing on domains of Metaethics, Metaphysics, Feminist Thought and Political Philosophy. Aiming to harvest persuasive philosophical minds, the programme ensures a comprehensive approach through courses offered as well as the teaching methodology. The faculty at the School of Humanities and Social Science follow an interactive, innovative and pragmatic teaching methodology which enables the students to develop an interest in studying the programme besides participating in other co-curricular activities.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To develop critical thinking on the discourse of philosophy.
- To provide conceptual and theoretical clarity to understand the different schools of philosophy.
- To understand gender, caste, politics and social structures in the treatise of Indian philosophy.
- To develop research interests in students.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would demonstrate:
- An ability to understand how philosophy helps to understand the aspects of life and societal structures.
- An ability to understand various philosophical concepts, thoughts, movements and philosophers.
- Research skills along with the expertise on a particular school/ area of philosophy.
- Skills for a comparative study of the Indian and Continental philosophy.
- An approach to envision an ideal through a philosophical approach.
An interdisciplinary mode of teaching is followed to enhance the philosophical minds. The teaching-learning process ranges from interactive sessions, discussions, workshops and presentations. The students are motivated to present seminar papers to exhibit their analytical and research skills. Philosophers, Theorist and Political Scientists are invited for intense interactive sessions and lectures to motivate students. The popular authors are also frequently invited for writing-workshops. The evaluation criteria runs parallel to the course seeking a continuous comprehensive evaluation of all the competencies required in the area. This incorporates weightage given to presentations, class participation, projects, seminar papers, dissertations, workshops and internships.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Classical Indian and Greek Philosophy, Ethics and Logic, Continental Philosophy, Political Philosophy, Phenomenology, Philosophy of Violence, Philosophy of Science, Philosophy and Bio-politics and Philosophy and Religion.
The post-graduation in Philosophy will provide students to understand the society and lives. This imparted knowledge will help them to enter into professional areas pertaining to research, teaching, content development or programme instructor in various educational and corporate organisations. One can go for teaching positions in leading schools and universities as a Junior Faculty or as a Research Associate.
Graduation in any field with Philosophy as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.