Duration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 090309
Post-Graduate programme in Political Science aims to transmit the knowledge of the discipline by providing courses and instruction that are characterized by excellence. Courses are designed for students who desire a basic, general knowledge of Indian government and Political System, Political Philosophy, studies in Social Justice and Inclusion. Apart from these the programme also seeks to provide students with the knowledge of power politics involved among nation-states. Students would be able to understand both theoretically and practically the values of citizenship and its beneficial consequences.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The students will gain knowledge in the various political concepts, familiarity with major theories, methods and their relevance in present political systems.
- The students will logically apply their knowledge in the understanding of the nature of political system, form of government and the relevance of empirical theories for a sound working of government.
- The students will understand the power politics involved in diplomatic ties among nations by knowing about the theories of international relations and trans-national organizations.
- The students will work and communicate effectively in inter-disciplinary environment, either independently or in a team, and demonstrate significant leadership qualities.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts and principles of political science in the structures, institutions, and processes of the India and other nations;
- Apply the knowledge of the discipline, using technology as well as traditional methods, to contemporary questions;
- Organize ideas and focus them effectively on the issue in question;
- Demonstrate an outstanding verbal and written communicative skills, analytical and critical thinking skills in various academic and professional settings;
- Recognize their personal value systems and apply these to their own social and political worlds.
Teaching and learning methods shall comprise of lectures, demonstration of techniques, group discussions, interaction with experts and scholars in different fields of Political Science.
The students would be taken out for educational trips in order to gain an understanding of socio-political setting of a particular area and carry out a study of the same as a part of research methodology course in the programme.
The students would also get a chance of pursuing internships with various think-tanks associated with the working of politics and policy decision- making.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Indian Government and Politics, Regionalization of Politics and Political parties, Thinkers in Western and Indian Political Philosophy, International Politics and Foreign relations, Issues of Social Justice and Inclusion, Democracy and Multiculturalism, Feminist Theories and others.
- Teaching and Research: A substantial majority of political scientists teach in one setting or another – in intermediate colleges, degree colleges, or at university graduate departments and management institutes. One can do research in a variety of employment settings-in universities, in institutes, in business or industrial firms, in Non-Governmental Organizations or even in the non-profit or advocacy sector.
- Communication: Many graduates of Political Science programmes choose to become involved in print, television, or radio journalism, when they apply their expert understanding of political systems to create reports about consent events. Political scientists might cover elections, conduct interviews, or attend Press conferences where they often have the opportunity to ask questions.
- Policy Making and Administration: Many political scientists in Central, State and Local governments are engaged in research and evaluation functions/powers of the government. Some are administrators, managers or developers of programmes, and many others are engaged in policy analysis or problem-solving. They are employed in or wide variety of agencies and policy administration.
- Opportunities in the Government Sector: One can appear for Civil Service Examinations like UPSC, SSC and State Public Service Commission & Joint Public Service Commission (JPSC).
- Opportunities in Business and Entrepreneurship: Political Scientists with a Post Graduate degree can go into a variety of fields, namely human resources, and management. Those with advanced degrees are employed by (or consulted with) many corporations. Many political scientists are also prominent in public opinion research, which is of interest to those in politics, and communication.
Graduation in any field with Public Administration/ Political Science as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.