Duration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 090310
Master of Public Administration is a professional degree for those who seek leadership positions in public service. The students will learn the skills and techniques to design and implement policies, projects and programs to provide vital daily services and address important societal problems while attending to the day to day administrative issues in organizations. Students will be prepared for leadership and management positions in the public and non-profit sectors, at local, state and national levels with an emphasis on the development of effective and ethical management of organizations.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To prepare pre- and in-service students for a variety of public sector roles, including leadership, management, and administrative positions in government and non-profit organizations.
- To instill in our students public service values and professional ethics.
- To promote a commitment to the improvement of government and social institutions in the ever-changing public landscape.
- To educate the students about generalist public management knowledge and skills.
- To develop the student’s ability to integrate theory and practice.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would be able to :
- Demonstrate broad understanding of public affairs, policy development, policy analysis, economic analysis, management skills, and organization theory and their applications to public service.
- Conduct a purposeful inquiry exploring the problem/issue a client is experiencing.
- Apply critical thinking and appropriate technology for public policy analysis.
- Work with and for others in ways that translate community needs into policy solutions and public service action to promote a just and humane world.
- Communicate effectively for different audiences and purposes.
Teaching and learning methods shall comprise of lectures, demonstration of techniques, group discussions, interaction with experts and scholars in different fields of Political Science.
The students would be taken out for educational visits to different places in order to gain an understanding of local administration in villages, municipalities and state to carry out a study of the same as a part of various courses in the programme.
The students would also get a chance of pursuing internships with various think-tanks associated with the working of politics and policy decision- making.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Political and Legal Institutions/Processes, Economic, Intergovernmental and Social Systems, Organizational and Managerial Skills/Practices, Budgeting and Financial Administration and Personnel and Human Relations.
- Policy Making and Administration: Many scholars trained in the study of Public Administration in Central, State and Local governments are engaged in research and evaluation functions/powers of the government. Some are administrators, managers or developers of programmes and many others are engaged in policy analysis or problem-solving. They are employed in a wide variety of agencies and Policy administration.
- Opportunities in Government Sector: One can appear for Civil Service Examinations like UPSC, SSC and State Public Service Commission and Joint Public Service Commission (JPSC).
- Opportunities in Business and Entrepreneurship: Scholars of Public Administration with a Post Graduate degree can go into a variety of fields, namely human resources, and management. Those with advanced degrees are employed by (or consulted with) many corporations. Many political scientists are also prominent in public opinion research, which is of interest to those in politics, and communication.
Graduation in any field with Public Administration/ Political Science as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.