Duration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 090313
Master of Social Work offers outstanding training in direct clinical social work practice. Our curricular imbibes research and practice among students. We also offer emphasis on policy practice with community and public interests, integrated primary and behavioral health care and global social work practice with opportunities to study abroad.
Programme Educational Objectives
- Demonstrate understanding of the relationship between professional values and ethics and practice.
- Recognize the effects of their own personal values, ethics, and beliefs upon their practice.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the social justice goals of furthering equality in our society.
- Show sensitivity to the effects of racism, sexism, classism, and other forms of discrimination upon individuals and groups.
- Apply conceptual frameworks to practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Foster change and development at the individual, family, group, organizational, and community levels.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would be able to:
- Be responsive to the continuity of social work knowledge and skills in the continuum from the undergraduate social work curriculum to the graduate concentrations.
- Sustain a culture of professional development and faculty-student relations characterized by accessibility of faculty members, joint involvement in projects, and mentorship.
- Promote the development and dissemination of new knowledge and skills for the social work profession.
- Foster racial, ethnic, and other types of diversity within the School.
- Sustain the school’s commitment to working students by the provision of flexible scheduling and extended-study options.
- Assist both the voluntary and public sectors of the community in the development of effective, comprehensive, and equitable social welfare services.
Teaching and learning methods shall comprise of lectures, demonstration of techniques, group discussions, interactions with domain experts, work with NGOs, studio assignments, presentations, review, critique and feedback. It is encouraged that students will come up with their individual ideas to work in society.
The evaluation criteria runs parallel to the course seeking a continuous comprehensive evaluation of all the competencies required in the area. This incorporates weightage given to theoretical concepts, class participation, projects, dissertation, and internships/industrial visits etc.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Social Work: Theory & Practice, Social Work: Research & Statistics, Sociology for Social Workers, Dynamic of Personality & Human Behavior, Ecology, Environment & Social Work, Social Policy & Social Welfare Administration, Dynamics of Development, Contemporary Social Problems, Criminology & Corrections, Community Health & Social Work, Population Dynamics & Gender Issues.
One can go and earn a higher degree like doctorate, opportunities reach areas more focused on the health aspect of the field that includes anything from addiction, to child neglect or abuse, and even long term unemployment, all issues that can have an enormous impact on one’s mental and emotional well-being. It may even be assumed that earning a Master’s degree in this field makes it for more likely for a licensed social worker to secure a position that will ensure a secure future with a generous salary.
Graduation in any field with Social Work as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.