Duration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 090312
M.A. programme in Travel and Tourism focuses on providing quality education and developing agents of change for socially responsible tourism. The program is designed with a global perspective in terms of course structure, teaching methods and technology integration. Practical applications and industry interactions to develop insight into contemporary tourism practices are part of the curriculum.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To equip students with a broad knowledge of theory and research in tourism.
- To encourage originality and creativity.
- To depict the interrelationship between travel, tourism and hospitality industries.
- To develop leadership skills and to provide necessary Managerial, Communicative, IT, product and Resource skills to effectively handle Tourism activities.
- To develop better and viable marketing and product innovation strategies.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would be able to :
- Explain and apply travel and tourism knowledge and demonstrate the unique professional requirements for a successful career in the travel industry;
- Demonstrate knowledge of computer applications software, including travel reservations software, word, spreadsheets and presentation software skills;
- Communicate effectively using written, oral and nonverbal techniques, including the use of technology in the gathering and presentation of information;
- Interpret and analyze information in order to engage in critical thinking and problem solving with regard to the performance of travel and tourism operations.
Masters of Travel and Tourism Management is a two year full-time degree program that provides a constructive, critical, and interdisciplinary education that will prepare one for careers in government, business, tourism and recreation planning, and consulting.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Tourism Recourses of India, Tourism Policy and Planning Framework, Introduction to Tourism Management, Travel Agency and Tour Operation, Introduction to MICE Management, Global Trends in Tourism, Computerized Reservation System, Tourism Marketing, Medical and Wellness Tourism, Introduction to Travel Writing, Accounting for managers in Tourism, Research Methodology in Tourism, Sustainable Tourism, Planning and Development of Tourism Infrastructure.
Masters of Tourism Administration (MTA) is designed in such a way to prepare students for managerial positions in Destination Planning, Consultancies, Policy making, Tour operations, Travel Agencies, Small and Medium Enterprises (SME), Hospitality and Aviation. After completing the program, the students should be able to work in travel and tourism related organizations, at various capacities in government levels, Event and Entertainment industry, Hotels, Food and Beverage services etc. The programme also bestows entrepreneurial skills among the students to start new businesses in the above areas.
Graduation in Social Science from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.