Placed in Inner pages
Master of Arts – M.A. (Counselling Psychology)
|Duration: 2 years||Programme Code: 090301|
Counselling Psychology is an advanced and specialized programme aimed at instilling knowledge and apprising the learners of practical applicability of the subject so that they can apply the same in diverse fields, exhibiting exceptional Counselling & coaching skills. It takes a holistic approach to ensure the learners have a deep understanding of the core fundamentals, have scientific approach, are able to counsel, resolve issues, be receptive, skilled and capable as a professional counsellor .
Programme Educational Objectives
- To introduce Counselling Psychology as a specialized scientific study aimed at implanting proficiency as a professional counsellor and a coach.
- To deal with problems, development issues and implement effective interventions, programs that promote and facilitate healthy cognitive, behavioral, and social-emotional growth of individuals.
- Develop Competencies in using- problem solving practices leading to data-based decision making and evidence-based interventions at the individual, group, systems etc.
- Actively contribute towards social community by promoting sound cognitive, behavioral, and social-emotional, and educational growth of individuals.
- Understand and respect individual differences and differences in culture, race/ ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, and sexual orientation and work effectively in multicultural and pluralistic social contexts.
Upon successful completion of graduation, learners are expected to demonstrate the following::
- Acquire, absorb and apply knowledge in counseling psychology ensuing the healthy mental growth development of an individual, resolving issues pertaining to behavior etc.
- Demonstrate impeccable knowledge and understanding resulting into competencies like problem solving coaching, counseling, decision making, diagnosis, etc.
- Develop critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Demonstrate statistical, information gathering, synthesis skills to facilitate research.
The teaching- learning process ranges from interactive sessions, discourses through subject matter expertise to various case studies, experiments, practicum demonstrations, lab experiments, discussions, audio visuals, industrial interphases, field visits and real time organizational trainings and internships. All focused to equip and enrich the learner making them adept in the subject. The evaluation criteria runs parallel to the course seeking a continuous comprehensive evaluation of all the competencies required in the area. This incorporates weightage given to theoretical concepts, practicals, class participation, projects, dissertations, industrial training/ internships etc.
Some of the core subjects covered are as follows:
Foundations of professional Counseling Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Lifespan Development Psychology, Statistical methods for Research, Professional and ethical functions of psychologists, Individual – Group Psychology ,Psychopathology, Psychotherapy, Assessment & Interventions in Counseling Psychology, HRD, Industrial & Organizational Psychology, Theories of Personality, Counseling, Health & Well-being, Diagnostic tests and Practicum etc.
The well thought of course design will facilitate exploring career avenues as a counsellor or coach in various educational institutes, industries & organizations, training institutes NGO’s, rehabilitations homes, health institutes, research institutes, testing companies etc.
Graduation in any field with Psychology as one of the subjects from a UGC approved university. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.