Duration: 3 Years | Programme Code: 100204
B.Sc. Optometry is an undergraduate 3 year program designed to impart knowledge and skills needed to become a qualified optometrist. In this vision care science program students are trained on various eye equipment (including lenses and spectacles) which is imbued with the idea of improving the vision of the human eye and remove all kinds of obstacles of sight which an individual may experience. The demand of optometrists in India and abroad is continuously increasing. They make a health assessment, offer clinical advice, prescribe spectacles or contact lenses and refer patients for further treatment, when necessary. Offering primary eye care, optometry is a challenging, stimulating and exceptionally rewarding profession that offers excellent opportunities for work in India and abroad.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The graduates will be knowledgeable in ophthalmic and systemic care to practice as an optometrist.
- The graduateswill interpret results of common ophthalmic procedures, develop differential and definitive diagnoses, including the skillful use of vision care instruments and material.
- The graduates will be skillful in techniques and current technologies, skillful in problem solving, and will possess professional, ethical and compassionate behavior and standards.
- The graduates will provide quality eye and vision care through comprehensive and appropriate examination, measurement, assessment, diagnosis, treatment and management of eye and vision conditions.
- The graduates will be cognizant and responsive to the health care needs of the community and possess a commitment to continuously improve knowledge and abilities
- The graduates will work and communicate effectively in an inter-disciplinary environment, either independently or in a team, and demonstrate significant leadership qualities.
- The graduates will possess the initiative and critical acumen required to continuously improve their knowledge through self-study, continuing education programme or higher studies.
Upon the completion of the course student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the scientific and statistical principles underlying the practice of optometry.
- Examine, diagnose and advise treatment for various ocular disorders
- Design, manufacture and prescribe diverse optical aids including spectacles, sunglasses, ophthalmic lenses, contact lenses etc.
- Lead actively a team of in various inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary health care communities.
- Assist Ophthalmologist or efficiently manage and run any ophthalmic or optical clinic industry & trade.
- Undertake Public Health Optometry projects and vision screening eye camps for educating on ocular hygiene and related nutritional and environmental counseling.
- Recognize epidemiological, environmental and etiological factors that require intervention to prevent visual deterioration or ocular disease.
- Demonstrate knowledge of vision care principles that govern ethical decision making and respect for the dignity of the patient.
- Obtain the pertinent information about a patient using communication, observation and diagnostic testing.
- Use modern techniques and technologies for providing vision care solutions to diverse patient population.
- Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning through continuing education and research.
Well-designed programme structure & curriculum; qualified & experienced faculty members both from academia and Industry; inter-disciplinary project based learning, state-of-the-art laboratories; summer research training program for students; clinical exposure in healthcare organization of repute
Anatomy and physiology, Biochemistry, Optics, Optical pharmacology, Optical assessment, Lens science, Communication skills, Optometric Instruments, Low vision Care, Binocular vision, Contact lenses.
The graduates of B.Sc. Optometry, can pursue their career as optometrists & Optician and play very important role in providing eye care to consumers. They can assist an ophthalmologist during surgical eye care, diagnosis and treatment of eye, plastic surgery. Optometrists can work as post-secondary teachers, occupational/industrial safety programs, consultants in the eye care industry or do research in optometry colleges. Optometrists can also set up their own private clinics & work independently. They can also choose a career in sports vision, public health and government service or community health centers.
Candidate who have completed 10+2 with physics and chemistry as compulsory subject with Math/Biology/Biotechnology. In addition candidates will also have to appear in GATA(Goenkan Aptitude Test for Admission) and Personal Interview.