Duration: 3 Years | Programme Code: 100208
B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology is an undergraduate 3 yearsacademic program. It is complementary to medical science and deals with the diagnosis of diseases through the use of clinical laboratory tests. MLT students become specialized at analysis of body matter such as fluid, tissue and blood, micro-organism screening, chemical analyses, and cell count. Students also learn to handle advanced lab equipments and perform accurate laboratory tests. This course offers wide career opportunities as laboratory technologist at hospitals, Pharmaceutical laboratories, Public Health Laboratories and ResearchOrganization. Students receive a restorative and supportive academic experience along with a financially successful social life.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The graduates will have knowledge in GLP practices required for establishing medical laboratories.
- The graduates will be able to function efficiently, confidently and safely in clinical laboratory settings including high-pressure hospital environments.
- The graduates will be capable of ethical handling of social issues associated with laboratory and healthcare.
- The graduates will have updated knowledge of research trends in health care.
- The graduates will be able to work and communicate effectively in inter-disciplinary environment, either independently or in a team and demonstrate significant leadership qualities.
- The graduates will engage in life-long learning and professional development through continuing education by postgraduate programs and doctoral level studies.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Apply knowledge and technical skills associated with medical lab technology.
- Perform routine clinical laboratory procedures within acceptable quality control parameters in hematology, chemistry, immunohematology and microbiology.
- Demonstrate technical skills, social behavior, and professional awareness imperative upon a laboratory technician.
- Apply problem solving techniques in identification and correction of procedural errors, instrument malfunctions and verifying the accuracy of laboratory results.
- Demonstrate ability to plan and implement professional activities.
- Understand professional and ethical responsibility in Medical lab technology practices.
- Efficiently execute well-designed research experiments and contribute to organization, analysis and interpretation of clinical data.
- Understand the impact of laboratory tests in a global and environmental context.
- Work as a leader in the diverse professional and industrial research areas.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written and graphical means.
- Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning through continuing education and research.
Distinctive academic curriculum, qualified and competent faculty members, transfer of knowledge through scholarly activities, inter-disciplinary project based learning, state-of-the-art laboratories, exceptional analytical and testing facilities, industry interaction and internships for clinical exposure.
Clinical Chemistry (chemical analysis of body fluids), Haematology (blood related), Immunology (study of immune system), Microbiology (study of bacteria and other disease organisms) , Cytotechnology (study of human tissue), Phlebotomy, Urine analysis, Coagulation, Parasitology, Blood Sample Matching, Drug Efficacy Tests and Serology, Blood banking,
Career opportunities for medical lab professionals is expected to grow faster than the average of all other occupations. Graduate of this programme can pursue their career as laboratory technologist at hospitals, Pharmaceutical laboratories, Public Health laboratories, blood donor centers, research& product development. They can also work as Laboratory manager/Consultant/supervisor, health care Administrator, Hospital Outreach coordination, laboratory information system Analyst/Consultant etc. Additional opportunities are available in molecular diagnostics, molecular biotechnology companies and in vitrofertilization laboratories as well as in research labs.
Candidate who have completed 10+2 in science stream with physics and chemistry as compulsory subject along with one of the Math/Biology/Biotechnology. In addition candidates will also have to appear in GATA(Goenkan Aptitude Test for Admission) and Personal Interview.