Duration: 3 Years | Programme Code: 090213
According to UNESCO (the cultural and educational agency for the United Nations) many of the world’s cultural heritage sites are in Italy. Italy has a rich culture of arts, music, design, architecture, opera, food etc. Italian has the highest number of words for describing food! It is a world leader in the culinary arts, interior design, fashion, graphic design, furniture design, machine tool manufacturing, robotics, electromechanical machinery, shipbuilding, space engineering, construction machinery, and transportation equipment. The Italian language is the closest to Latin, the common ancestor of all romance languages. An estimated 60 percent of the English vocabulary also comes from Latin.
This program is designed to provide students with a liberal arts foundation while equipping them with language skills. The course includes basic level Italian language, literature, history, culture and economy.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To deliver knowledge and understanding of Italian Language and literature.
- To enable students to demonstrate and apply Italian language skills in a variety of contexts.
- To develop good knowledge of the history, evolution and development of the language.
- To encourage self-expression and opinion.
- To provide a holistic grooming of speaking, writing, listening and reading skills in Italian.
Upon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would be able to :
- Read, write, and speak the Italian language with reasonable fluency in different contexts.
- Develop an appreciation of Italian Literature and Language.
- Explain and review the history and evolution of the language and literature.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Italian history, culture and political contexts with reference to the modern world.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Italian Literature, Spoken Language, Creative Writing in Italian Language, Translation, History, Culture, Economy and contemporary issues.
Some of the major areas that will be covered are Spanish Literature, Language, Creative Writing in Spanish Language, Translation, History and Culture, Contemporary Issues.
Having a language major has many advantages. It not only make you culturally more competent but also possess diverse skill sets. Being bilingual will certainly make you have more competitive skills, make you more employable and have more career choices. Italian is fast becoming an important Business language. In the United States, knowing Italian can be particularly helpful in healthcare and education industry.
You can work as interpreter, translator, guide, feature writer, academic writer and book reviewer. You can also work with the Embassy, Italian institutions and organizations. However if you choose not to enter the work force immediately, you can pursue Post Graduation and prepare for a teaching or research career.
10+ 2 from CBSE or equivalent examination. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.