Duration: 3 year | Programme Code: 090203
French is known to be one of the most elegant languages in the world. French culture has dominated the world of art, fashion and gastronomy and French language is indeed the vehicle for this proliferation. This programme is designed to provide students with a liberal arts foundation while sharpening their language skills and analytical abilities in French. The course includes basic level French with introduction to French Language, French Literature, French Poetry, Grammar, Creative Writing and Linguistics. Through general education, electives, and focused study, students have the chance to develop oral and written communication skills.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To deliver knowledge and understanding of French Language and Literature in totality.
- To enable students to demonstrate and apply French language skills in a variety of contexts.
- To enable individuals to understand and interpret the French language and its application in many fields in an effective manner.
- To develop fundamental and in-depth knowledge and understanding of the history, evolution, intricacies and development of the language.
- To encourage and embolden self-expression and opinion.
- To provide a holistic grooming of communication skills in French encompassing speaking skills, writing skills, listening skills and reading skills.
- Develop a deeper appreciation of French Literature and Language.
- Ability to critically analyse Literature texts of different eras and be able to interpret and review them.
- Proficiency in communicating in French.
- Ease of applicability of French language in present day career occupations.
- Ability to think critically, speak articulately, write lucidly and precisely, and to read powerfully, deftly, and with understanding of subtleties and nuances.
Some of the major areas that will be covered:
French Literature, Spoken French, Translation, French Grammar, Linguistics, French Poetry, Drama, Creative Writing & Phonetics.
An ability to speak French and English is an advantage on the international job market. A knowledge of French opens the doors of French companies in France and other French-speaking parts of the world (Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, and North and sub-Saharan Africa). As the world’s fifth biggest economy and number-three destination for foreign investment, France is a key economic partner. A degree in French will equip you with opportunities to work as Interpreter, Alliance Francaise, Translation work, French Feature Writing, Academics & Research, Critiquing of books and films, Work with French Institutions, French Embassies, French Cultural bodies, Conduct Exchange Programmes with France, Write about French food, wine and culture.
10+2 from CBSE or equivalent examination. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.