Duration: 2 years | Programme Code: 080303
Master of Arts in Media Management is specially designed to equip students in handling the fast unprecedented changes taking place in media and the way it is created, distributed and consumed today. This change demands a new breed of media managers who would be both market and tech savvy. This programme combines traditional knowledge of media management, business accounting and HR practices blended with the new age media. Besides stressing the core concepts and principles of management, the programme equips students with the managerial skills and knowledge needed to work in different media fields.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To familiarize students with the structure of media organizations
- To provide the students the knowledge and understanding of media economics, finance and business strategy
- To apprise students of the current technology and practices used in media production, distribution and consumption
- To give an understanding of the regulatory environment in which the media operates
- To establish the importance of team work in managerial functions
At the end of the Programme, the students will be able to:
- Describe the structure and functioning of the Indian media industry
- Demonstrate the knowledge of media production, processes, governance and regulatory structures
- Analyze the impact of convergence on the creation, distribution and consumption of media
- Describe the costs of production and sources of revenue of different forms of media
- Develop business ethics, problem solving skills and strategies to demonstrate their application to typical business decision-making problems
The programme Master of Arts in Media Management combines the principles of management with skills needed to manage media organizations. The curriculum includes courses that provide knowledge into the working of different fields of media. These include Print Media, Radio and Television, New Media, Social Media, Advertising, Public Relations, Event Management and Entertainment. The students are also taught core marketing functions such as Marketing Management, Media Economics, Business Communication, Human Resource Management and Theories of Organizational Behavior.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Media, Culture & Society; Media Business, Accounting for Management, Business Communication, Quantitative Techniques, Marketing Management, Human Resources Management & Organizational Behavior, Media Business Laws, Financial Management, Print Media Business, Broadcast Industry, Film & Music Industry, New Media Industry and Social Media Marketing.
A Master’s degree in Media Management opens up scores of exciting managerial positions in Print Media, Broadcast Media, New Media, Social Media, Advertising, Public Relations, Event Management and Film Production. These openings are for managerial positions in product development, media sales, media planning, media buying, corporate communications, media finance etc. All these are challenging positions and promise highly paying and satisfying careers.
Graduation in any field from a UGC approved university. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.