Duration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 050201
Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) Programme of G D Goenka University is approved by the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) and Haryana State Government. It has been designed to aim at developing the understanding of teaching-learning process at secondary and senior secondary school level and the competencies required by the student- teachers to make this process effective. The programme enables student- teachers to engage with studies on educational issues of global, national and state level and develops a conceptual understanding about the role of teacher in this culturally diverse scenario. It focuses on enabling student-teachers to reflect critically on perspectives of education and integrate the theory and practices in a holistic manner to facilitate active involvement of learners for creation and construction of knowledge.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To create a pool of effective and competent teachers.
- To expose student- teachers to various teaching methodologies prevailing across the world.
- To analyze the teaching-learning environment across variety of schools (Government, Private, Government aided, International and World Schools).
- To sensitize student-teachers about various social and educational issues.
Programme learning outcomes
On completion of this programme, the student- teachers will be able to:
- Practice the professional competencies required.
- Make use of various methods and approaches of organizing learning experiences for secondary school students.
- Select methods and approaches that can help in dealing with the academic and personal problems of learners.
- Design various procedures and techniques for evaluation of teaching learning processes.
- Appreciate the role of teacher in prevailing socio-cultural and political systems in general, and the educational system in particular.
- Facilitate active involvement of learners for creation and construction of knowledge.
The Programme focuses on initiating and enhancing educational discourse by organizing seminars, debates, lectures and discussions for student- teachers. The highlights of the Programme are to make the student- teachers organize and participate in intra-institutional and inter-institutional activities on themes of educational significance. A participatory teaching approach is adopted to help student- teachers develop reflective thinking and questioning skills. The focus is also on developing research aptitude and critical thinking.
Some of the major areas that will be covered:
Perspectives in Education – Childhood and Growing up, Contemporary India and Education, Learning and Teaching, Gender, School and Society, Knowledge and Curriculum, Creating an Inclusive School, Health, Yoga and Physical Education.
Curriculum and Pedagogic Studies – Language across the Curriculum, Pedagogy of two School Subjects and Assessment of Learning.
Engagement with the field – Tasks and Assignments that run through all the courses, School Internship, Reading and Reflecting on Texts, Arts in Education, Understanding ICT and its Application and Life Long Learning (LLL).
The programme also includes a comprehensive School Experience Programme (SEP); the internship in teaching.
The graduates become eligible for teaching in schools at Secondary and Senior Secondary levels. They can also work as Principals/Headmistresses/Headmasters of schools, Content Developers with various educational organizations and publishing houses, Education Officers at various Government Organizations, Academic Coordinators and Supervisors, Administrators and Managers of schools and other educational institutions. Besides this, with a strong and extensive professional training they can open, establish and run their own schools/institutions as well.
Graduation in any field from a UGC recognized university with at least 50% marks. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully clear the Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.