Duration: 2 Years | Programme Code: 050301
The Master of Arts (Education) Programme is an innovative programme, which would provide learners a wider and comprehensive understanding of education as a field of knowledge and thus would accommodate a wide variety of learner needs. Needs may range from understanding the concept of education to knowing how knowledge gets generated in the area of education and to acquiring higher levels of specific aspects of education.
- • As per the norms of National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), one of the academic eligibility criteria of becoming a teacher educator is to have M.A. (Education) degree in order to teach the foundation courses, hence the importance of this programme.
- • Considering the ever changing cultural and social patterns, it is important to know the roots through subjects like philosophy, psychology and sociology etc. The programme would help in preservation and transmission of heritage and values and would help in preparing the students as global citizens.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To identify various aspects of development of learner
- to practice skills pertaining to the different research methods and data analysis techniques
- to hold discussions onthe aspects of history of higher education
- to analyze curriculum development and instruction
- • to reflect on different aspects of comparative education
On completion of the Programme, the graduates will be able to:
- practice the various aspects of development of a learner
- integrate the skills of research methods and data analysis techniques
- apply the various components of higher educationat work place
- implement different strategies of curriculum development and instruction.
- highlight the differences and unique features of higher education systems of the world
The Programme is delivered through seminars, workshops, tutorials and lectures. Experiential Learning is an integral component of the curriculum. Students submit a dissertation at the end of the last semester.The focus is on essential skills and knowledge with a balance of practical and theoretical learning.
Some of the major areas that will be covered:
Learning, Learner and Development,Societal Context of Education, Research Methods in Education, Methods of Data Analysis in Education , Higher Education : Its context and linkages, Inclusion and School Perspectives in History and History of Education, Comparative Education, Curriculum Development and Instruction, Equality and Education : Sociological Perspectives,Field Work with Community, Dissertation etc.
Graduates are prepared for roles such as, Education Officers, Education Administrators and Managers in a range of educational institutions. The graduates can work in the education field at various positions such as Directors, Deputy Directors, Principals, Vice-Principals, Headmistresses/Headmasters, Academic Coordinators and Supervisors etc.The programme enables the candidate to teach the Foundation courses of Teacher Education programmes. The programme is designed to develop research skills and therefore opens up research avenues too.
Graduation in any stream from a UGC recognized university or an equivalent degree approved by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), or any other equivalent degree to the satisfaction of the Academic Council of the University. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully clear Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.