Programme OverviewDuration: 3 Years | Programme Code: 020211
B. Sc. (Hons.) Mathematics programme endeavors to instill in students with a genuine interest in their subject area by fostering a creative spirit to help them fulfill their potential, to become creative mathematician and to become successful in a wide range of professions where logical and analytical thinking is required.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The graduates will become successful professionals by demonstrating logical and analytical thinking abilities.
- The graduates will work and communicate effectively in inter-disciplinary environment, either independently or in a team, and demonstrate leadership qualities.
- The graduates will engage in life-long learning and professional development through self-study, continuing education or professional and doctoral level studies.
Upon completion of the B.Sc. (Hons.) Mathematics programme, students will be able to::
- Create a hypothesis and appreciate how it relates to broader theories.
- Evaluate hypotheses, theories, methods and evidence within their proper contexts.
- Solve complex problems by critical understanding, analysis and synthesis.
- Demonstrate engagement with current research and developments in the subject.
- Critically interpret data, write reports and apply the basics of rules of evidence.
- Select, interpret and critically evaluate information from a range of sources that include books, scientific reports, journals, case studies and the internet.
- Develop proficiency in the analysis of complex physical problems and the use of mathematical or other appropriate techniques to solve them.
- Demonstrate skills in the use of computers for control, data acquisition, and data analysis in experimental investigations
- Demonstrate a range of appropriate general skills including IT competency.
- Function on multidisciplinary teams by working cooperatively, creatively and responsibly as a member of a team.
- Provide a systematic understanding of the concepts and theories of mathematics and there application in the real world – to an advanced level, and enhance career prospects in a huge array of fields.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, computing and graphical means.
- Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning through continuing education and research.
Distinctive academic curriculum, qualified and competent faculty members, transfer of knowledge through scholarly activities, inter-disciplinary project based learning, state-of-the-art laboratories, exceptional computing facilities, industry interaction, semester abroad opportunities.
Career opportunities exist in teaching in schools & colleges (after M.Sc.) where any of the science subjects is an important discipline, Indian Administrative Services and other state and central Govt. Services where knowledge of science subjects is an advantage, careers in organizations/industries where a high level of competence and dependence on Mathematics is demanded.
10+ 2 from CBSE or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. In addition candidates will also have to appear in GATA (Goenkan Aptitude Test for Admission) and appear for a Personal Interview.