Professor Jayasankar VariyarProfessor : Chemical Engineering
Pro Vice Chancellor, G.D. Goenka University
Dr. Jayasankar Variyar has 25 years of experience in teaching, research and leadership. He has been a faculty in several institutions in India including Indian Institute of Technology (IIT - Kharagpur), Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT - Vellore), Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT - Chennai), Galgotias University and Vellore Institute of Technology (Bhopal). Prior to his academic career, Jay worked in some of the leading corporations in India (Cholayil Pvt Ltd, Hindustan Unilever, and ICI India).
Jay earned his PhD from Duke University, USA in Physical Chemistry and B.Tech from IIT (Madras) in Chemical Engineering; He was a Post Doctoral Fellow with Professor Daniel Kivelson at University of California Los Angeles (UCLA).
Jay brings an excellent blend of exposure to world-class higher education institutions, large corporations in India and reputed private universities in India.
Jays’ current activities are as follows:
- Consultant for GLG Group and Guidepoint in the areas of detergents, soaps, hand wash and higher education
- Mentoring start-ups in the Personal Care and Foods space
- Reviewer for McGraw Hill in Chemical Engineering
Jay is passionate about adopting technology; a few examples are as follows:
- One of the early implementers of parallel and vector programming in Molecular Dynamics Simulations
- Mazonni mixers in preparation of low moisture soaps
- Z-blades for dry mixing high active content detergents
- Tablets for digital paperless examinations at VIT (Vellore)
- Learning Management Systems at VIT and Galgotias University
Jay is interested in understanding the structure and dynamics in a super-cooled liquid as it approached the glass transition using Molecular Dynamics Simulations and Monte Carlo Methods; development of formulations and technical solutions in the Mixing, Personal Care, Soaps and Detergents.
Contribution to Profession and Awards (from 2015)
- Key Note: ‘Is there a need for Higher Education in the Digital Age?’, EdTechReview Summit, Expo & Awards, New Delhi, 5 March 2020.
- Panel Discussion: ‘Preparing students for the workforce: Emerging tech Skills & Inevitable role of Technology” EdTechReview Summit, Expo & Awards 2020, 5 Mar 2020, New Delhi.
- Panel Discussion:”Academia Partnership and Institute Engagement Model” AICRA INDIA STEM SUMMIT & AWARDS 16 Apr 2019, IIT Delhi.
- Keynote Note: “Digital Education - How to engage your students” EdTechReview Summit, Expo & Awards 2019, 14-15 Feb 2019, Bangalore.
- Panel Discussion: Curriculum for Holistic Education”, Sixth International Conference on Human Values in Higher Education, 11 Feb 2017, IIT Kanpur.
- “Panel Discussion: Engaging Students, Assessing Student Behavior and Data by Leveraging Technology”, Higher Education Technology Conference & EXPO 2017, 10 Mar 2017, Bangalore.