Duration: 1 Year | Programme Code: 090101
The programme prepares the students for a career as a counsellor. It equips the students with the skills required to become a counselling psychologist.
Programme Educational Objectives
- Provide students with an in-depth knowledge of counselling and prepare them for being a practitioner.
- Develop their skills for counselling in order to be able to handle any situation that will need counselling and related assistance.
- Learning the skills of rapport formation and assisting counselling as per the case requirement.
- Develop a professional attitude and acquire knowledge for managing critical situations.
- Acquiring the knowledge and skills for individual assessment and mental status examination.
- Learning to be an effective and efficient professional counsellor.
- Acquire the attributes of being an empathetic and ethical counsellor.
- Learning the theoretical concepts and applicability of the same in real life situations.
- Being a professional in various set-ups such as schools, institutes and hospitals.
Programme OutcomeUpon successful completion of the programme the post-graduate would be able to :
- Counselling skills that are required for different set-ups.
- Organizational skills of planning and documenting of cases of counselling.
- Necessary skills of management and leadership.
- Problem-solving skills essential for successful employment.
- Being an effective communicator and maintaining rapport and building positive client-counsellor relationship.
- Skills and knowledge for individual assessment and examination.
Post-Graduate Diploma Programme is a rigorous theoretical and practical oriented programme that imparts knowledge and skills to the participants in the area of counselling.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Skills of counselling, being an effective counsellor, skills for rapport formation, learning the assessment requirements of the clients, counselling set ups and the needs.
Post-Graduates can assume role of a school counsellor, work with psychiatrists in hospital, be a child psychologist, family and marriage counsellor; or offer personal and professional guidance and help.
Graduation in Psychology from UGC approved university. In addition, candidates will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for personal interview.