Duration: 3 Years
B.Sc. Home Science is a three-year undergraduate program that that includes the study of many disciplines like nutrition, health, hygiene, economics, rural development, child development, sociology and family relations, community living, art, food, nutrition, clothing, textiles, and home management to bring everyday life in sync with the changing surroundings. With the current lifestyle, home science as a career option is becoming immensely popular these days due to its wide application in the field of textile, food, clothing, hygiene, and interior designing.
The model course curriculum prescribed UGC is adopted and same is duly approved by directorate of Higher Education, Haryana. A candidate is required to attain at least 75% attendance in individual courses considering theory and practical separately to be eligible to appear for the respective examinations.
Programme Educational Objectives
- Graduate will understand and appreciate the role of home science in the development and well- being of society at large.
- Graduate will understand the scientific techniques with view to enhance the quality of life of people.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate leadership qualities and entrepreneur skills by working and communicating effectively in interdisciplinary environment, either individually or in a group.
- The graduates will develop a professional outlook towards role of nutrition, textiles, housing, product making, and communication technologies in human development.
- The graduates will engage in life-long learning and professional development through self-study, continuing education or graduate and professional studies.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and research skills acquired in the different fields of Home Science.
- Identity and solve discipline specific (Home science) needs of individuals and community.
- Lead actively various inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary teams pertaining to various domains of home science.
- Understand and appreciate the role of Home science professional in the development of healthy society.
- Undertake public healthcare projects to aware society about basic needs of food, nutrition, textile and extension education in human development
- Understand ethical behavior in professional and social contexts to meet and uphold the standards of in all walks of life and comprehending the moral dimensions of decisions and actions.
- Demonstrate proficiency in communicating competently to effectively deliver formal and informal presentations to a variety of audiences in multiple contexts.
- Create, select and apply current tools and techniques of home science necessary for solving industrial and societal problems.
- Acquire the skills to be an independent lifelong learner embracing real-time changes in the socio-technological context, promoting continuous development and improvement of the knowledge and skills needed for employment and personal fulfillment.
Family Resource Management; Food Science and Nutrition; Human Development; Textile and Clothing; Communication and Extension; Interior Decoration.
Human nutrition; Therapeutic nutrition; Human development; Textile science and fashion designing; Family resource management; Extension education and communication.
B.Sc. Home Science graduates will get to work in Apparel Houses, Merchandising Centers, Community Development Programs, Fashion Industry, Hotels, Food Industry, Tourist Resorts, Clubs, Healthcare organizations and others. Some of the popular job roles for graduates of home science are health care professional, food analyst, Dietitian, nutritionist, Family Planning Counselor, research assistant, professor/lecturer, Chef, Textile apparel designer/supervisor, child care supervisor etc. Graduates can start their own business venture which is relevant to the field. Clinical Dietitians: They are specialists in food nutrition services in hospitals, outpatient clinics, and private practices. They assess patient nutrition, develop dietary plans, provide patient counseling, and monitor patient's progress.
Community Dietitians: They work in public health agencies, health and fitness clubs, and day care centers. They counsel people on food choices and direct programs in nutrition awareness and disease prevention.
Management Dietitians: They are specialized in food service systems or clinical management. They work in hospitals, nursing homes, school food service, cafeterias, and restaurants. They manage personnel, plan and conduct employee training programs, design food systems, and plan budgets.
Consultant/Private Practice: Graduates can have their private practice consultation involving client counseling for weight management, eating disorders, sports nutrition, diabetes management, etc. from either physician referrals and/or advertisements.
Sports and Health Clubs: Graduates of this Programme can also work for sports, Health and recreation clubs as nutritionists and dietitians. Employment opportunities are also open to them in catering department of star hotels and restaurants.
Media: Graduates with good communication skills can pursue career in media particularly in radio/TV shows on healthcare.
International and National Organizations: Students can also join various jobs offered by national/international regulatory agencies such as UNICEF, WHO, CRY, NIPCCD etc.
Academics: Graduates with in depth knowledge and innovative skills can work as a researcher and trainer in educational institutions and culinary school. Graduate of this course can opt for PG in Nutrition and Food Processing/Textiles and Fashion Apparel, Social Work, Plant Physiology & Ecology, Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Development etc. to explore their career in academics and research organizations.
Candidate shall have passed 10+2 examination conducted by the respective state / central government authorities recognized as equivalent to 10+2 examination by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) with English as one of the subjects and Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (P.C.M) and or Biology (P.C.B / P.C.M.B.) or Home Science as optional subjects individually. Any other qualification approved by the GDGU as equivalent to any of the above examinations. In addition candidates will have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.