Duration: 2 Years | Programme code: 100008
Diploma in ophthalmic technology is a two year diploma program designed to build a trained and qualified professional who assist ophthalmologists in order to diagnose and treat patients. An innovative curriculum of this programme will enable students to get requisite skills for carrying out diagnostic and therapeutic procedures that are standard in ophthalmology.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To prepare students to succeed in employment/profession and/or to pursue graduation in ophthalmic technology.
- To provide students with a solid foundation in eye care fundamentals required to formulate, analyze & cure various ailments related to ophthalmic field.
- To equip students with technical competence to perform various ophthalmic procedures.
- To demonstrate responsible, ethical, and professional patient care.
- To become effective technical communicators, orally and in writing, and effective team members capable of working effectively in groups on ophthalmic problems.
- To enhance their skills and embrace new eye care technologies through self-directed professional development.
- To provide student with an academic environment that fosters excellence, transparency, leadership and promote awareness of life-long learning.
Upon the completion of the course student will be able to:
- Exhibit the scientific principles and knowledge associated with ophthalmic technology.
- Inspect, detect and advise treatment for various ocular ailments.
- Develop skill in design and manufacturing of spectacle lenses, contact lenses and low vision devices.
- Lead actively a team of in various inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary health care communities.
- Understand professional and ethical responsibility in ophthalmic care practices.
- Undertake public health optometry projects for educating /counseling the society at large.
- Understand the impact of ophthalmic procedures/tests in a global and environmental context.
- Demonstrate knowledge of vision care principles that govern ethical decision making and respect for the dignity of the patient.
- Obtain the pertinent information about a patient using communication, observation and diagnostic testing.
- Use modern techniques and technologies for providing vision care solutions to diverse patient population.
- Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning through skill development.
Well-designed programme curriculum; qualified and experienced members of the faculty supported by rigorous hands; on training in areas such as examining patients, basic treatment of vision problems; work on eye testing and other ophthalmic equipment; monitoring patients, prescribing and dispensing spectacles and contact lenses and optometry practices.
Some of the major areas that will be covered are basic human sciences, basic physics of light, communication skills, computer science, basic pharmacology, basic orthoptics, basic ocular sciences, optometry practices, visual optics, ocular diseases and conditions, dispensing optics etc.
- This programme caters to evolving industry demands and moulds both fresher as well as experienced candidates to become exceptional professionals to assist eye care practitioner in their practice of ophthalmology.
- Diploma holders of this programme may secure lucrative jobs as - ophthalmic technician, refraction assistant, and supervisor in ophthalmic glass, grinding workshop, tutor and entrepreneur.
Candidate shall have passed 10+2 in science stream with physics and chemistry as compulsory subject along with one of the math/biology. In addition, candidates will also have to appear in GATA (Goenkan Aptitude Test for Admissions) and personal interview.