Duration: 2 Years
M.Sc. Nutrition & Health has been offered to impart to eligible candidates advance skills in Clinical and Therapeutic Nutrition, Community Nutrition and Critical evaluation through integration of nutrition, dietetics, and research through hands-on training in multispecialty hospitals under the supervision of expert dietitian and nutritionist. The advance study through this course will forge a connection between medicine, chemistry, and food, focusing on the good and bad effects of alimentation on the human body. The course of study for M.Sc. Nutrition & Health shall extend over a period of four semesters (two academic years). The model curriculum prescribed by UGC and approved by Directorate of Higher Education, Government of Haryana includes in-depth study of Macro nutrients, Micronutrients, food analysis, advance diet therapy, food and dairy microbiology, nutrition and immunity and many more.
Candidate is required to attain at least 75% attendance in individual courses considering theory and practical separately to be eligible to appear for the respective examinations. Student has to complete 200 hours of internship either in hospitals or in food industries.
Programme Educational Objectives
Students will be able to:
- Acquire in-depth knowledge in the field of nutrition and health complemented by the appropriate skills and attributes.
- Understand the applications of nutritional sciences in clinical interventions, communication for health promotion, food service management, food science and processing.
- Inculcate the essential skillsets as a nutritionist to help improve people’s health and well-being through practical/clinical exposure.
- Comprehend methods of assessing nutritional requirements and diet planning for patients with different ailments/need.
- Reify communication and writing skills for professional accomplishments as an nutritionist.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills acquired through study of nutrition and health to address nutrition-related problems in different groups, cultures and societies.
- Recognize and apply acquired skills/concepts/principles of nutrition sciences in prescribing diet to Pediatric to Geriatric population.
- Lead actively a team of in various inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary health care areas.
- Create, select and apply advance tools and techniques to solve nutrition related issues for the welfare of diverse communities.
- Understand and appreciate the role of nutritionist in the development of healthy society.
- Undertake public health care projects and camps for extending awareness in society about nutrition and health.
- Understand ethical practice as nutritionist in professional and social contexts that govern decision making and respect forthe dignity ofthe patient.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills with effective exchange of professional information
- Recognize the need to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change in the field of nutrition through continuing education and research.
Well-designed program curriculum is taught by qualified & experienced faculty and clinical experts; adequate theoretical knowledge to plan lab investigations rationally in any clinical set up and carry out and interpret the results; research training program for students; industry/clinical exposure in healthcare organizations of repute.
Human Nutrition Advanced clinical and therapeutic Nutrition, Nutritional biochemistry, Nutrition and Dietetics, Food Service Management, and Food and community Science.
Diverse job opportunities exist in front of nutritionists and dieticians in India. Both Government and private sector job opportunities are available in front of them. Post-Graduate students of this course may advance their career at senior positions in the following sectors- Healthcare sector (hospitals, clinics, health centres etc), Media, Government schemes and organizations (like FNB, ICMR, Public Health Foundation etc.), NGOs, Health Clubs/Fitness Centres/Sports Centres and Teaching and Education sector. Other than the above mentioned jobs, self employment is another good opportunity available in front of nutritionists and dieticians. Post Graduates with sufficient financial resources and entrepreneurship skills, could start own private clinic or consultancy center.
Globally, UN and International Organizations like WHO, UNICEF hire nutritionists and dieticians to take care of wide pool of community nutrition related project/activities.
- The candidate should possess one of the following qualifications or an equivalent degree from a recognized university/Institution:
- B. Sc. in Nutrition and Health /Dietetics
- Any other qualification approved by the GDGU as equivalent to any of the above examinations. In addition candidates will have to successfully complete Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.