Dr. Smita Kumari
Assistant Professor (Biological Sciences)
Qualification: (B.Sc) (H) in Biotechnology, (M.Sc) in Microbiology , Ph.D in Biological Sciences
College/University: Ranchi University 2008, Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT) Bhubaneswar 2010, CSIR-Indian Institute of Toxicology Research, Lucknow 2019.
Introduction: Dr. Smita Kumari is currently working as an Assistant Professor at School of Engineering and Sciences in GD Goenka University, Gurugram, Haryana, India. Prior to joining GDGU, Dr. Kumari brings in more than two years of experience as research scholar and as Trainee in Plant Pathology Division, Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack, Orissa and Junior Research Fellow in Environmental Biotechnology Division, CSIR-Indian Institute of Toxicology Research, Lucknow, U.P. She received her Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Microbiology from Orissa University of Agricultural and Technology, Bhubaneswar in Year 2010, and Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Biotechnology from Ranchi University, Ranchi in Year 2008. She received her Ph.D. (2019) in Biological Sciences from Environmental Biotechnology Division, CSIR-Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (CSIR-IITR), Lucknow. Additionally, she has qualified GATE 2012 and CSIR-UGC NET-JRF 2012
She has received UGC-JRF fellowships (2013 to 2015) and UGC-SRF fellowships (2015 to 2018) to support her Ph.D research work. Her research studies mainly focused on developing novel bacterial consortium, their genes, and enzymes for biodegradation of soil and wastewater contaminants for the sustainable and green environment. Her research area basically comprises Microbial genes, and enzymes, Biodegradation of organic compounds including PAHs, crude oil, microplastic etc., Nano-bioremediation, Metabolites, Metagenomics, Biosurfactants production.
She has attended various national and international conferences and presented research via poster during the conferences for which she received best poster presentation award in International Toxicity Conclave (2015). She has published seven research publications in various reputed peer reviewed (SCI) journals with good impact factors with more than 246 citation and h-index 5. Apart from these she has published three book’s chapters as first and corresponding authors as well. She is an active life member of the Biotech Research Society India (India).
- Smita Kumari, Vishnu D. Rajput, Svetlana Sushkova, Tatiana Minkina, 2022. “Microbial electrochemical system: An emerging technology for remediation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from soil and sediment, Environmental Geochemistry and Health, DOI: 10.1007/s10653-022-01356-z. Impact Factor: 4.89.
- Smita Kumari, Krishna Gautam, Monika Seth, Sadasivam Anbumani, Natesan Manickam, 2021. “Synergistic biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by bacterial consortia amended with Eisenia fetida and rhamnolipid”, communicated, Environmental Science and Pollution Research. Impact Factor: 5.19.
- Smita Kumari, Raj Kumar Regar, Natesan Manickam 2018. “Improved polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon degradation in a crude oil by individual and a consortium of bacteria”. Bioresource Technology, 254, 174-179. doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2018.01.075. Impact Factor: 11.88.
- Smita Kumari, Raj Kumar Regar, Abhay Bajaj, Ratnasekhar Ch, Gubbala Naga Venkata Satyanarayana, Mohana Krishna Reddy Mudiam, Natesan Manickam 2016. “Simultaneous Biodegradation of Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons by a Stenotrophomonas sp: Characterization of nid Genes and Effect of Surfactants on Degradation”. Indian Journal of Microbiology, 57(1), 60–67. doi: 10.1007/s12088-016-0612-6. Impact Factor: 2.46.
- Bhagyashree Tiwari, N. Manickam, Smita Kumari, Akhilesh Tiwari, “Biodegradation and dissolution of polyaromatic hydrocarbon by Stenotrophomonas sp.” Bioresource Technology. vol. 216, pp.1102-1105 (2016). Impact Factor: 11.88
- Divya Dubey, Deepti Chopra, Jyoti Singh, Ajeet K Srivastav, Smita Kumari, Ankit Verma, Ratan S Ray 2017. “Photosensitized methyl paraben induces apoptosis via caspase dependent pathway under ambient UVB exposure in human skin cells”, Food and Chemical Toxicology, 108, 171-185. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2017.07.056. Impact Factor: 5.57.
- Jyoti Singh, Ashish Dwivedi, Lipika Ray, Deepti Chopra, Divya Dubey, Ajeet K. Srivastva, Smita Kumari 2018. “PLGA nanoformulation of sparfloxacin enhanced antibacterial activity with photoprotective potential under ambient UV-R exposure”. International journal of pharmaceutics, 541(1-2), 173-187. doi 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2018.02.028. Impact Factor: 6.51.
- Jyoti Singh, Ashish Dwivedi, Deepti Chopra, Krishna P. Singh, Ajeet Srivastav, Divya Dubey, Smita Kumari, Ratan Ray. P 003 - Ambient UV-B exposure attenuate the binding affinity of ofloxacin with bacterial DNA gyrase and induced apoptosis in human keratinocytes via Reactive Oxygen Species mediated pathway. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, Volume 108, Supplement 1, July 2017, Page S19. Impact Factor: 8.10.
- Emerging bioremediation strategies for the removal of pharmaceutical combinations in wastewater in a book entitled “Synergistic Approaches for Bioremediation of Environmental Pollutants: Recent Advances and Challenges” to be published by Elsevier. (Smita Kumari, Ragini Singh, Balaram Mohapatra, 2022) (Published).
- Phytoremediation: A Potential Strategy for Eradication of Persistent Organic Pollutants and Trace elements from wastewater" in a book entitled “Phytoremediation” to be published in Scire Science India. (Smita Kumari, 2022). (Published).
- Revolution of Titanium dioxide in biomedical and environmental applications in a book entitled “Titanium dioxide advances in research and applications published by NOVA publisher. (Smita Kumari, Dharmendra Kumar, 2021). (Published).
Research: Dr. Kumari’s research interest comprises Microbial genes, and enzymes, Biodegradation of organic compounds including PAHs, crude oil, microplastic etc., Nano-bioremediation, Metabolites, Metagenomics, Biosurfactants production.
Contribution to profession and awards:
- Invited as an expert talk at Dr. N.G.P. Institute of Technology, Coimbatore, organized The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Sponsored Two Day Workshop on “Application of Laser Flow Cytometry using Optimized Photosimulation of Bio-Active Neurons for Enhancement of Personalized Neuroprosthetics” during 25th and 26th November 2021.
- Participated and completed successfully AICTE Online Elementary FDP on "Gene and Genome Technology for Biologists" during 22-11-2021 to 26-11-2021 at Bihar Animal Sciences University.
- Participated and completed successfully AICTE Online Elementary FDP on "Cancer Genomics in Healthcare System" during 16-11-2021 to 20-11-2021 at Noida Institute of Engineering and Technology (Pharmacy Institute).
- Participated and completed successfully AICTE Training and Learning (ATAL) Academy Online Elementary FDP on "Waste Technology: Emerging Strategies in Waste Management Solutions" during 23-08-2021 to 27-08-2021 at Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Technology for Handicapped.
- Participated in Workshop on LC-MS" during June 10-11, 2020. from Mohalal Sukhadia university, Udaipur, Rajasthan
- Awarded First Prize for best poster Presentation in International Toxicology Conclave (ITC) -2015 Conclave conducted by CSIR-IITR, Lucknow.
- Received UGC-SRF fellowship from March 2015 to 2018
- Received UGC-JRF fellowship from March 2013 to March 2015
- Qualified GATE-2012 in Life Sciences
- Awarded CSIR-UGC NET-JRF-2012
Placement Expert Talk to Expert